Saturday, January 26, 2013

Module 2 - The Little Engine That Could


The Little Engine That Could 
by Watty Piper

Summary

A happy little train is on her way to deliver toys and goodies to children when all of the sudden she stops and cannot go any further.  A shiny new engine, a big strong engine,  and a rusty old engine all refuse to help make the delivery.  A little blue engine comes a long and isn't sure she can handle the load, but agrees to try.  When the going gets tough she chugs, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can" and successfully delivers the goodies to the awaiting boys and girls.


Piper, W. (1986). The little engine that could, the complete, original edition. New York: Platt & Munk, Publishers.

My Impressions

I remember reading this story as a child; however, the story I recall did not have the three trains that refused to help.  I only remember the little blue engine that came along to help.  I like the original story better.  In addition to teaching the universal lesson that if you have a positive attitude, you can do anything, the story also teaches children to not stop looking for help.   Assistance can come from the most unlikely sources.  This story parallels the Good Samaritan story in the bible.

Reviews

Best Children's Books
Watty Piper's The Little Engine That Could
Children's book review by Steve Barancik
Ages 3-8

I think I can. He thinks he can. Do you think he can? Do you think YOU can?
I've heard The Little Engine That Could described as a quintessentially American story. I don't buy it. Are they trying to tell me that parents in the rest of the world want their children to think they can't?

This book is universal, an essential book for any parent who wants their children to have confidence in themselves and a belief in what they can achieve if only they try hard enough.
The story has roots that go way back, but the text most of us are most familiar with can be traced back to 1930. (And the illustrations I grew up with are the ones I chose to feature at the top of this page. There are other versions as well.)
I have to admit, I was surprised as I reread this book. My memory was that the book consisted almost entirely of the words, I think I can. I had that wrong, but those words are definitely the take-away message of the book.

A weary old engine breaks down on the way to bringing great toys and yummy food to the children on the other side of the mountain. She can't go another inch.Well, the toys are eager to be owned! Led by a "funny little clown," they endeavor to engage another engine to take their little train over the mountain.A weary old engine breaks down on the way to bringing great toys and yummy food to the children on the other side of the mountain. She can't go another inch.
The Passenger Engine is used to carrying important people, not toys. He refuses to have anything to do with this crew. The Freight Engine likewise. And, alas, while the Rusty Old Engine has sympathy, he has only enough strength left to pull himself.
The toys are very sad.

Along comes a Little Blue Engine. This perky young fellow wasn't built for carrying such large loads. But you know what? He thinks he can. He thinks he can. And sure enough...he does.
Painter Loren Long brings us a new version of the book plenty faithful to earlier editions illustrated by Doris and George Haumann. The Little Blue Engine is still a steam engine, still cute and almost cuddly. I'm of course biased by what I grew up with, but I suspect children today will show a strong preference for the newer version. The toys in the new one come off more as characters unto themselves than objects that belong in a toy chest.
Either way, you can hardly go wrong. The Little Engine That Could has helped instill in children a belief in themselves for the better part of a century. Put those magic words in the back of your child's mind: I think I can, I think I can...

Barancik, S. (n.d.). The little engine that could. Retrieved from http://www.best-childrens-books.com/little-engine-that-could.html

Suggestions for Use in the Library

  • For Christian librarians in a private school setting: Use a Venn diagram to compare/contrast this story to the Good Samaritan story from the Bible.
  • Reader's Theater: Have students act out the story using props and puppets.

No comments:

Post a Comment